How to Decorate a Property for a Birthday Party at Home
Who doesn’t love a grand birthday party? The Your At Home Team sure does!
But when you throw it at home, you know it takes some effort and creativity to make it a memorable event. Whether it’s for you or a close person, there is plenty of work to do before the fun begins. As a host, you pick a theme, take care of food and drinks, get a gorgeous birthday cake, send beautiful invitations. And just as important are party decorations!
What’s a fabulous party without some festive details around the house?
The decorations are the ones that set the party atmosphere. They make the birthday boy/girl feel appreciated and loved. With fun decorative items around, the guests embrace the party spirit and enjoy the event. That’s why, as the party thrower, it’s up to you to focus on the decorations and create the perfect festive space.
Wonder where to start? We’re here to help.
We made a list of our favorite ideas on how to decorate your home for a birthday party to boost your imagination. Look at it for inspiration and get started.
And remember to turn your party mood on!
Decorate with Flowers
Flowers are a main part of the birthday decor and brighten the mood of the event. According to birthday flower bouquet experts Bouqs, combining flowers with candles is what adds the elegant touch to the occasion. Choose seasonal fresh flowers in colors that match the theme to get a complete fancy look.
Or go for an untraditional use of flowers:
- Add them to the festive backdrop of balloons, or make one only from different types of flowers.
- Have them customized for the birthday person - flowers that shape their name, initials, age, wishes, and congrats.
- Colorful floral petals spread on the floor, buffet, or the gifts table, are another groovy detail of the decoration.
Rearrange the Floor
Create a cozy atmosphere for a chill and small group of friends kind of party. Place some big and fluffy pillows, soft blankets, and beanbag chairs on the floor. Arrange them around a casual table. This simple party space trick makes the guests feel comfortable and encourages chit-chats, games, and laughter.
Push your furniture close to the walls if you expect more people. Guests enjoy it when there’s enough space to move around and mingle. Plus, why not use the free area as an improvised dance floor? That’s a guarantee for a great gathering.
Create a Drop Zone
Prepare a small corner next to your front door and decorate it in the theme of the party. This is a place for the guests to put their outerwear or bags after they arrive. Without this small corner, you end up with jackets and purses scattered all around the house. That’s not festive at all.
Place a table nearby so your guests leave their birthday presents there. Make sure to enhance it with ribbons, confetti, a birthday banner, so it’s a part of the party decoration, too.
Play with Food and Drinks
Delicious food and cake are a must for a great birthday party.
- Incorporate the party theme into the yummy treats you serve to impress the guests.
- Place trays with appetizing sweet and savory bites and nibble platters at different spots around the house to satisfy the taste of every guest.
- Go for a simple themed-decorated buffet.
- Garnish it with an artistic centerpiece to add a celebratory flair. Remember to put a pretty tablecloth, too.
Beverages styling is another way to contribute to the festive vibe.
- Serve cocktails or lemonade with berries in mason jars or milk bottles with custom straws for a funky look.
- Instead of ordinary ice cubes, use frozen fruits, flowers, or herbs to add a modern kick to the drinks.
- Personalize the glassware with a tag tied around their neck or a sticker and make your guests feel special.
Balloons are the classic birthday decoration. What’s a better way to add color and set a cheerful atmosphere for a youthful gathering than balloons. And if the party is more on the sophisticated side, stick to one or two colors - simple but chic.
There are unique ways to arrange the balloons so they match your vision for the party decoration:
- Stick them to the wall to create a festive backdrop. Or maybe spell “happy birthday”, the name of the birthday person, their age, etc.
- Hang the balloons from the ceiling for a magical feeling.
- Tie them to a ribbon to make a colorful garland.
- Decorate the birthday cake with them.
How? Use mini balloons along with lollipop sticks. Place them on the cake wherever you like.
Here are some other exciting ideas on how to use balloons:
- Make caricatures. Use a permanent marker to draw cute characters of the guests and the birthday person on the balloons.
- Create a photo tribute. Use helium balloons and hang childhood photos of the birthday boy/girl from their ribbons.
Make It Real Fun with Glow Sticks and Lights
If the birthday party takes place during nighttime, glow sticks are ideal to make it a memorable celebration. Spread them around the house to add a fun twist to the bash. Put glow sticks in the balloons for an even more enjoyable experience.
Lights bring a lovely party look and coziness to any space. Hang up string lights to set a vibrant feel. It also looks great if you attach the lights on the edges of the buffet table. Pick the right candle size to match your fancy dinner party. Their soft lighting creates an instant, intimate vibe. Lanterns and mason jars are perfect if you host an outdoor party.
Is it a proper birthday party without confetti?
Sprinkle it around the house, fill the balloons with it, or leave the guest to pop it. Confetti adds a pop of color and a positive feel to any space. It raises up the mood and everyone enjoys it. Plus, they are a great decorative option for a party on a budget.
Make Pets Part of the Party
Balloons pop, which can be extremely scary to pets who live in the house. If your pet is scared of big groups or noise, We’re All About Cats recommends setting your cat (or dog) up in a quiet, safe space such as a laundry room with the door shut.
Make sure to keep all their favorite necessities inside. If you really want to make a pup part of the party, make a doggy birthday cake! Of course, remember toys, water, and the litter box! If separate due noise, carry checks every once in a while to make sure they’re okay.
Wrapping Birthday Decorations
We hope you like our ideas for an at-home birthday party and try them soon. And remember, the decorations come out lovely when you don’t stress too much and have fun!